Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Blog #9--Fiction or Non-Fiction for ELL's

Below is a graphic organizer to illustrate the salient differences between using fiction and non-fiction texts for ELL's in the first grade:

Fiction/Non-Fiction for ELL's
Fiction: The Mitten by Jan Brett
Tells a Story
Funny
Fantasy--Talking Animals
Illustrations Not Photographs
Talks About Sharing
Tells Actual Facts in Story
/
Non-Fiction: The Just-Right House
Table of Contents
Glossary of Word Meanings
Index/Diagrams
Facts
Real Photographs of Real People/Things
Tells Actual Facts
/
The features above that I believe will best support students' learning to speak English include aspects of both genres. On the one hand, The Mitten is an intriguing and captivating fiction story for all ages; however, the non-fiction story, The Just-Right House, also provides students with plenty of opportunities to make real-life self-to-text connections. For instance, The Mitten can be used along with a graphic organizer for story recall which exemplifies what goes on "in the cottage" or "in the woods." I used this with first grade ELL's earlier this year. I had students work in small cooperative groups at the listening center while each wearing headphones listening to an audio tape of Jan Brett's wonderful story. Afterwards, they individually fill out a graphic organizer and listed various items from The Mitten under the headings "in the cottage" or "in the woods." Students each had a hard-copy of the actual text to refer back to while completing this activity. However, the non-fiction text, The Just-Right House, is a perfect book to use with a T-chart exemplifying "My House" and "The Just-Right House." After listing the various aspects of each underneath the appropriate heading, students then draw/color an illustration of "My Just-Right House" together with labels for each different component of their house (i.e. bed, table, chairs, etc.). Once again, students use their copy of the text itself to refer to for proper spellings, house ideas, etc.
/
/
After considering both genres, I do not believe that one is more challenging over the other as long as the appropriate leveled texts are chosen along with a proper explanation of unfamiliar vocabulary or situations. As along as the text is engaging and well-written, students will benefit from either accordingly.

2 comments:

  1. I love your choice of books. I would have loved to see your lesson. I really like the idea of using the T-Chart for "my House" and "The Just Right House". I also agree. I do not feel that one is more challenging than the other. If they are explained and the vocabulary is pretaught then I don't see the difference at this level or age group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I love working with first graders. You'd be amazed at what these little guys put in "My Just-Right House"--popcorn machines, Wii's (of course), basketball hoops, etc. Very imaginative!!

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete